Love and Mercy

Movies, music, film strips, anime... whatever... share it!

Love and Mercy

Postby Thumper » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:48 am

Listened to several interviews and reviews of this Brian Wilson movie before we saw it. So I kind of knew what to expect. But I still think it was a great movie, and made me appreciate Beach Boys music in a way I hadn't. I know that The Kid has been playing songs from Pet Sounds since we saw it. I thought both actors that portrayed Brian did a pretty good job. The movie jumped around between two different time periods and at times, at least for me, seemed to drag a bit. But still a good movie. The peek into the Wrecking Crew was worth the price of admission. Made me want to go see their movie.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Re: Love and Mercy

Postby pumpkinpi » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:08 pm

Thanks for the review! I've read differing opinions so I hadn't decided if I was going to see it. Maybe I'll get a chance to take my dad when I visit MD this month. They are his favorite group! Endless Summer is one of the LPs I grew up with, and love it to this day. I've introduced my kids to it and have a video of Buster dancing like a fool to Fun Fun Fun!

The second concert I ever went to was The Beach Boys. I barely remember it....I was about 6 or 7. It was at a county fair, so my strongest memory was sitting in the stands and looking out at the rides!
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby Thumper » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:27 pm

I'd like to hear the review of a "true" fan. This isn't a touchy-feel good movie. Sure there is some beautiful, wonderful stuff in there. But it ultimately the story of a very broken man. I'll never listen to "Good Vibrations" the same way again.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:19 am

The Kid is volunteering at a summer day camp every day she can this summer. It's located very close to where I work so I've been bringing her into town with me, dropping her off, picking her up. So she's been riding with me much more than normal. Of course she takes control of the radio. I've heard more Beach Boys music in the last 2 weeks than I think I have my entire life. She tends to get obsessed and temporarily fixated when it comes to music. :P
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:33 am

Now she's got me doing it. I'm trying to belt out Beach Boys tunes while I'm in the shower, while I'm mowing, while I'm replacing the lattice. I'm saturated, but now see the beauty and genius of Brian Wilson.
Anybody else see the movie yet?
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:26 am

So nobody has seen the movie?
The Kid has been learning Beach Boys' and Brian Wilson songs on guitar and piano. I don't think she has any sheet music for them but I'm not sure. She's also reading his biography.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Swift » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:36 pm

Thumper wrote:So nobody has seen the movie?
The Kid has been learning Beach Boys' and Brian Wilson songs on guitar and piano. I don't think she has any sheet music for them but I'm not sure. She's also reading his biography.

Nope, sorry. For whatever reasons, we hardly go to movies any longer. My wife and I talked about this one... but that thought didn't go anywhere.
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby Thumper » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:24 pm

Do you guys do on demand movies at home, or Redbox, NetFlix or anything like that? Or just no movies?

I think it was about a year or more since I had seen one in a theater. Then we happened to hit a one week slot where we saw 3 in a row. Actually went to a Drive In last Friday with some friends. :shock:
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:25 pm

I was hoping PumpkinPi would have time to see it. I wanted to know what a real fan thought about it.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Return to Lights, Camera, Comments