Star Talk

Movies, music, film strips, anime... whatever... share it!

Star Talk

Postby Thumper » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:37 pm

Neil deGrasse Tyson's talk show series is a radio show and also a TV series shot at Cullman Hall of the American Museum of Natural History. It's has a great premise with a neat format. Neil is the Host, he has a comedian co-host, and then each show brings on an expert. The three discuss a different topic each week which centers around a segments of pre shot interviews of various celebrities by Neil in his office. These people have included: Penn and Teller, Richard Dawkins, Chris Hadfield, President Jimmy Carter, Seth McFarland among others.

We finally got around to watching several episodes of the TV series that we DVR'd from the National Geographic Channel. While I was impressed with some of the interviews and the subject matter, I unfortunately found Tyson to be quite annoying. It's obvious he's very smart and very passionate. He can also bring some complex scientific concepts to the understanding of the masses, he's a good ambassador. He also, on face appears open to new ideas and possibility that he's wrong or doesn't know everything. However, this doesn't stop him from coming across extremely arrogant and condescending. He badgers his expert guests and constantly interrupts them. And the way that he talks to them makes me uncomfortable. I find this unfortunate. It could really be a great show. Not sure how many more I'll watch. There are great parts and people on the show have very interesting things to say, if Tyson will let them get a word in.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Re: Star Talk

Postby Swift » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:26 pm

I have not watched any of them, but I think your analysis of Tyson is correct. I kind of felt that way about his version of Cosmo (of which I only watched the first two or three). Among other problems, it was a little too much the Tyson Show.
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby Thumper » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:29 pm

That's how we saw COSMOS and this show. I mean he's brilliant and can express things very well. But he invites experts onto his show to have a discussion. Let them talk. If he just wants to do a monologue, you don't need to bring all the others in.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby pumpkinpi » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:54 am

Did you see the one with Susan Sarandon, on November 29? I know the expert of the wpisode--Emily Rice, Astrophysicist at the Hayden. I trained her when I worked at the Maryland planetarium. She's awesome.

I have only seen clips. I don't have cable/satellite, and I haven't checked to see how/if I can get it online. But part of the clip I saw was about getting people back into space, beyond Earth orbit. She said, "And I mean people. Not old white dues."
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby geonuc » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:14 pm

Swift wrote:I have not watched any of them, but I think your analysis of Tyson is correct. I kind of felt that way about his version of Cosmo (of which I only watched the first two or three). Among other problems, it was a little too much the Tyson Show.

But wasn't that a criticism of Sagan's original series, too?
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:52 pm

geonuc wrote:
Swift wrote:I have not watched any of them, but I think your analysis of Tyson is correct. I kind of felt that way about his version of Cosmo (of which I only watched the first two or three). Among other problems, it was a little too much the Tyson Show.

Hmmm, I don't know, was it?
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:54 pm

pumpkinpi wrote:Did you see the one with Susan Sarandon, on November 29? I know the expert of the wpisode--Emily Rice, Astrophysicist at the Hayden. I trained her when I worked at the Maryland planetarium. She's awesome.

I have only seen clips. I don't have cable/satellite, and I haven't checked to see how/if I can get it online. But part of the clip I saw was about getting people back into space, beyond Earth orbit. She said, "And I mean people. Not old white dues."
I've got 8 or 10 on the DVR so I may have that episode. I should, I did a series record. Just can't watch too many at once. Will take a look this week. The Kid is already sick of him. And I don't want to risk turning her off to science.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:20 pm

I've got the Susan Sarandon episode. So I'll watch it sometime when The Kid is off studying for mid-terms. I kidded Monday night that we were going to watch the rest of the episodes all in a row. She said that would make her pull her hair out. :D
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby geonuc » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:37 pm

Thumper wrote:
geonuc wrote:

Hmmm, I don't know, was it?

I think so. The criticism was that Sagan was too dramatic and in love with the spotlight.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:59 pm

Part of that belief that the wonder of science and the mysteries of the universe aren't cool enough by themselves. We have to dress them up with flash, bigger drama, and in today's age: Huge special effects. Otherwise us knuckle draggers will lose interest and go back to watching the Kardasians.... :roll:
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:03 pm

I watched a couple episodes last night by myself just to get rid of them, and couldn't. The first featured David Byrne, the second featured President Bill Clinton. I had to save them so the girls could watch. Well at least Mrs. T, The Kid sequestered to her room then came out and was buried in her phone. Both episodes were fantastic because of the interviews. Bill Nye's clips were also great. I gained a new respect for both gentlemen. I tought Clinton's statements and insights were fantastic.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Return to Lights, Camera, Comments