Rush Drummer

Movies, music, film strips, anime... whatever... share it!

Rush Drummer

Postby SciFi Chick » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:05 pm

retiring from music

Wasn't sure if Thumper saw this yet or not, so I thought I'd post it.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Re: Rush Drummer

Postby vendic » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:03 pm

I saw this post and thought, oh, Thumper and Morolan aren't going to be happy.
But, it turns out that he's retiring instead of dead.
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby SciFiFisher » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:15 am

vendic wrote:I saw this post and thought, oh, Thumper and Morolan aren't going to be happy.
But, it turns out that he's retiring instead of dead.

To music fans retirement is almost as bad as dead. Unless there is a post-retirement tour in the making. :P
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:31 pm

Yeah, this isn't really new. They announced last year that their R40 tour would be their last project of this magnitude. They left open the door that they could get together to make some music in the future but they were certainly at least taking a hiatus.

I was sad personally last year when I knew we were nearing the end. That's why we looked at every single date on the US tour and figured out which one we could get to. Sure, I don't want them to quit. But that's being selfish. They've been Rush for 40 years and musicians for longer than that. It's their job. I'm eligible to retire from my job, and I sure want to. And I get to come home most nights. How could I want to deny Neil the chance to watch his daughter grow up, just because I like watching him beat the drums? They deserve their family time as much as I'm going to miss them.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Parrothead » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:49 pm

I heard Geddy came out and stated Neil wasn't retiring. The word had come up in a conversation he had with his daughter and things may have gotten misconstrued. Definitely there will be a hiatus, as Thumper stated. IIRC, Peart has been battling with tendonitis or arthritis, as have other bandmates. Aging a wonderful thing.

In other canuck music news, I heard/saw an interview on tv, "The Hawk" Ronnie Hawkins and Gordon LIghtfoot recorded a Christmas tune, originally recorded by The Band (Robbie Robertson) in 1977, "Christmas Must Be Tonight". The interview on cbc was quite amusing. Not sure if both are singing, Hawkins definitely, Lightfoot producing.
Parrothead

Return to Lights, Camera, Comments