Tributes to David Bowie, 1947-2016

Movies, music, film strips, anime... whatever... share it!

Tributes to David Bowie, 1947-2016

Postby pumpkinpi » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:33 pm

You don't realize how much impact a person has until he's gone. I've seen so many new aspects of this man's art and influcence in just a few short hours through facebook. This is my favorite so far, version Bowie/Space Oddity/xkcd's Thing Explainer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygrdAvmr-MA

If you have a work youtube blocker, you can also find a description of it on BA's page.
http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronom ... tists.html
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Re: Tributes to David Bowie, 1947-2016

Postby Thumper » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:18 pm

Mrs. T was watching a VH1 Storytellers on Bowie Friday night when The Kid and I got home. Then they featured videos from his just released album. She was fascinated and really wanted to talk about him and his impact and career. She later told me that she had several all Bowie playlists on Spotify that she's been listening to. Needless to say she was completely stunned when I told her the other morning that a buddy had just texted me of his passing.

There was a commentator on NPR's Fresh Air yesterday who had a quote that, to me summed up the overreaching impact of this man. I'm paraphrasing:
"You need only look at the wide varied list of people who felt compelled to comment on his passing. People from Tony Blair to Kanye West took to Twitter to offer condolences. We heard from none other than the Arch Bishop of Canterbury to Madonna."

Though I never considered myself a big fan, I'm deeply saddened. I realize his work, his art, and his influence have been around me my entire life.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:41 pm

Thumper wrote:Mrs. T was watching a VH1 Storytellers on Bowie Friday night when The Kid and I got home. Then they featured videos from his just released album. She was fascinated and really wanted to talk about him and his impact and career. She later told me that she had several all Bowie playlists on Spotify that she's been listening to. Needless to say she was completely stunned when I told her the other morning that a buddy had just texted me of his passing.

There was a commentator on NPR's Fresh Air yesterday who had a quote that, to me summed up the overreaching impact of this man. I'm paraphrasing:
"You need only look at the wide varied list of people who felt compelled to comment on his passing. People from Tony Blair to Kanye West took to Twitter to offer condolences. We heard from none other than the Arch Bishop of Canterbury to Madonna."

Though I never considered myself a big fan, I'm deeply saddened. I realize his work, his art, and his influence have been around me my entire life.

I am not what most people consider to be "musically inclined" yet I can say that even I noticed the work of this great performer. Although what I most remember him for is his role as the Goblin King in Labyrinth.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Parrothead » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:41 pm

On Friday I was playing a bunch of Elvis and Bowie, as both were born Jan. 8th. Monday morning I turn on the radio, 7am news were on, with Bowie/Bing playing in the background, announcer speaking in past tense. I just froze. The past couple of days, I've been playing all the Bowie I own on either lp, cassette or CD. One of my fave artists gone. Amazing that he was able to keep his cancer battle under wraps, in this day and age of social media. People working with him had to sign non-disclosure agreements.

I saw him on the "Serious Moonlight" (1983) and "Sound + Vision" (1990) tours. I tried on the S+V concert tee I still have, it fit quite snug, I wasn't even going to attempt to get the shirt from '83 over my head. My favourite album of his fluctuates between Ziggy and Scary Monsters. The video to "Lazarus" just brings tears to the eyes knowing the context.

Wish I could say I had tickets to last night or tonight's Holy Holy concerts downtown. The band featuring former Bowie band members Tony Visconti and "Woody" Woodmansy, Glenn Gregory (Heaven 17) on vocals, James Stevenson, Terry Edwards, Bernice Scott, Paul Cuddeford and Jessica Lee Morgan (Visconti's daughter). They played the "Man Who Sold The World" album in it's entirety and then just a bunch of Bowie hits. The show lasted just over two hours.

He will be missed. RIP.
Parrothead

Postby Swift » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:44 pm

Am I weird (well, yes, but I mean in this particular way), but I'm not all that upset about David Bowie? I'm sorry for his friends, family, and fans, but I never was that much of a fan of his music. Social media and regular media seem blanketed with this news, a bunch of people I know on Facebook are all over this, and the amount of his music on the radio seems to have increased 100x. I always thought of him as kind of a minor player. Oh well...

(sorry to rain on the parade, it's been bugging me and you folks are the victims of me getting it out of my system)
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby vendic » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:13 am

No problem. I didn't care for his music either. Looks like we're in the minority though.
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby Thumper » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:12 pm

Yeah you are. But that's okay.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Return to Lights, Camera, Comments