Merle Haggard

Movies, music, film strips, anime... whatever... share it!

Merle Haggard

Postby Thumper » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:18 pm

To say I was a fan, at least currently, is an overstatement. But more and more I recognize the major influences that artists and performers had or have on many of the musicians that I listen to and enjoy. I was exposed to old country music, (what I would call real country music before it turned into whatever crap it is today) at a pretty young age. Many of those classics are still in me.

So I post about Merle's passing as a nod and remembrance to the spirit of his music, what it stands for, what it meant to the people that listened, and those who were inspired.

I'll link to This live version of Working Man Blues by one of my favorite singeer/songwriters Damon Johnson. He quickly sums up what his exposure to music like this means to him. Sing it all the way home, Merle.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Re: Merle Haggard

Postby SciFi Chick » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:16 pm

Thumper wrote:To say I was a fan, at least currently, is an overstatement. But more and more I recognize the major influences that artists and performers had or have on many of the musicians that I listen to and enjoy. I was exposed to old country music, (what I would call real country music before it turned into whatever crap it is today) at a pretty young age. Many of those classics are still in me.

We rarely agree when it comes to entertainment, but on this, we agree 100%. I, too, call that real country music. Do you know they have "country" singers who rap now? It's utterly ridiculous.

And don't get me wrong. i don't mind certain rap. And if you want to fuse rap and country together, I guess you can, but find a new name for the genre, because it's not country.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby SciFi Chick » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:17 pm

As for Merle, he was a real talent, and I think it's an interesting coincidence that he died on his birthday.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby Parrothead » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:05 pm

Know a few of his songs.

One of the talk radio shows I listen to, mentioned the dying on his birthday. Someone at the station did some searching, IIRC, they mentioned Shakespeare and Ingrid Bergman also died on their birthdays.
Parrothead

Postby vendic » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:04 pm

Never heard of him before but I liked the link.

Parrothead wrote:Someone at the station did some searching, IIRC, they mentioned Shakespeare and Ingrid Bergman also died on their birthdays.

I thought they are still debating if Shakespeare was fictional or not.
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby SciFiFisher » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:50 pm

vendic wrote:Never heard of him before but I liked the link.

Parrothead wrote:Someone at the station did some searching, IIRC, they mentioned Shakespeare and Ingrid Bergman also died on their birthdays.

Debate does not equal acknowledged fact. ;)
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby SciFi Chick » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:48 am

vendic wrote:Never heard of him before but I liked the link.

He's definitely not fictional. What they're debating is whether or not he's responsible for all the works attributed to him.
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Return to Lights, Camera, Comments