Low Wages

Poli-meaning many
Tics-blood sucking insects

Yep... that about sums up the Government...

Low Wages

Postby SciFi Chick » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:50 am

One of the many reasons I love Australia.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Re: Low Wages

Postby SciFiFisher » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:52 am

Domino's Pizza chief Don Meij admitted the total cost of paying penalty rates was still unknown and could run even higher than Deutsche Bank's estimates.

"We have known about this for years and we have been working towards this date, there is no surprise in it at all.

He said Domino's could not start paying staff more ahead of an agreement because it would "set a precedent".

"It's very complicated ... you can't just pay out of award wages ahead of schedules because it unfortunately layers up and then we would have an inefficient agreement."

Mr Meij blamed recent exposes by Fairfax Media of underpayment at Coles and McDonald's for not being able to strike a deal with the union.

"We were very close to an agreement but with all the media around Coles and McDonald's and all the different organisations that have been in the media with the SDA, that just stalled our agreement," he said.

Maybe I am being cynical but could it be that they were on the verge of making another deal that would cheat people? And the SDA couldn't ratify it once everything became public? :shock: Oh No! I am sure that was not it. :roll:
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby geonuc » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:30 am

Looks to me that the Domino's workers need a better union, one more accountable to the workers.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby SciFi Chick » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:07 pm

All of that is true, but did you see, at the end, how much the low wages are? $18.99 an hour!
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby SciFiFisher » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:48 pm

SciFi Chick wrote:All of that is true, but did you see, at the end, how much the low wages are? $18.99 an hour!

Is that $18.99 U.S. or AUD? If it is AUD it is about $14.24 US. Which is still very respectable and beats the shit out of US minimum wages and even the states that have raised minimum wage to between $8-$10 US. OK. I admit this probably a nitpick. But, I really want your comparison to not work. Because it makes US look bad. And it's true. And that's worse. :P

But, I am still going with the Union was making a back room deal. :P
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Return to Poli-Tics