The Weather Thread

Re: The Weather Thread

Postby geonuc » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:19 pm

I think I'll have to take out a loan to pay the power bill this month.

Although it has been a little cooler these past couple of days.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:22 am

According to Mrs. T, I have to many refrigerators. They "cost too much to run." Well this month we'll see how much it costs to run a refrigerator that cools the whole house. Seriously, we've never run it this long and consistently before. There will be sticker shock.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:25 pm

So muggy and warm the last two days that the A/C was up and running at 5:00am. 78 degrees at 5:00am.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:26 pm

Last night it was so cold (mid-50s F) that my heat kicked in, and today it barely hit 60F and it's been raining pretty much all day. I refuse to believe it's actually mid-August when this weather is so mid-autumn. :(
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby geonuc » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:38 pm

Thumper wrote:So muggy and warm the last two days that the A/C was up and running at 5:00am. 78 degrees at 5:00am.

That's about what it's running around here. I've set my thermostat to 78 and the A/C still kicks in through the night and early morning.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Parrothead » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:50 pm

Been muggy here. Tonight's overnight is forecast as 25 C , humidex 35 C. Hopefully, some thunderstorms roll through tonight. Through Monday daytime temps are to be low 30s C humidex around 40 C. Humidex reading is similar to "feels like" . Since June 1, we've received around 85mm of rain, average is more than double that amount.

I still prefer putting up with the heat than that white stuff and cold temps.
Parrothead

Postby Thumper » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:42 am

A Canadian that hates snow. That sounds like he|| on Earth. :P 80F this morning downtown when I got up. And I spoke too soon. My new million dollar HVAC system is balking at being on constantly. Hope it makes it through the weekend but it's gonna take a service call. It's not holding the temp where I set it, and running constantly rather than cycling. We may have to go old school tomorrow. That's okay, I miss hearing the bugs and owls.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:56 pm

Thumper wrote:A Canadian that hates snow. That sounds like he|| on Earth. :P 80F this morning downtown when I got up. And I spoke too soon. My new million dollar HVAC system is balking at being on constantly. Hope it makes it through the weekend but it's gonna take a service call. It's not holding the temp where I set it, and running constantly rather than cycling. We may have to go old school tomorrow. That's okay, I miss hearing the bugs and owls.

Make sure they check the compressor. It may be new but that doesn't mean the compressor isn't bad. I had that happen with an AC system that was less than 18 months old. It took 4 service calls to convince the technician(s) that it really was the compressor. :hammer:
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:52 pm

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. I had a friend put it in. He does it on the side. It's all officially warrantied and what not, so it won't cost me. But I'll feel bad if he has to eat a bunch of time if it's a major repair.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:51 pm

0630 and the AC just kicked on. Of course, we run it at 70 degrees. Why you ask? Well, one of the things they never tell you about two story homes. The upstairs is always warmer than the downstairs. Much warmer. Much, Much, warmer. And the bedrooms are almost always upstairs. :twisted:

And in Sacramento California we enjoy 400* days of sunshine with one of the highest UV ratings in the world. This year we actually are enjoying fewer 100 + degree days than we did last year. :o

* Yes, I really did say 400. Because Hyperbole always makes a story better. :mrgreen:
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:30 am

Turns out it is a regulator module near the coil inside. He ordered it and is ready to install it. But it was raining hard yesterday afternoon and he didn't want to "open up the system" when it was so wet. It was a little cooler yesterday. He did some fiddling and it was working better yesterday. It didn't have to run all night. Still raining today. Grass was almost ready to go dormant, now we've had 2.5 inches of rain in the last few days and I'm suddenly behind in mowing again. Yippee.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby geonuc » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:27 pm

SciFiFisher wrote:0630 and the AC just kicked on. Of course, we run it at 70 degrees. Why you ask? Well, one of the things they never tell you about two story homes. The upstairs is always warmer than the downstairs. Much warmer. Much, Much, warmer. And the bedrooms are almost always upstairs. :twisted:

And in Sacramento California we enjoy 400* days of sunshine with one of the highest UV ratings in the world. This year we actually are enjoying fewer 100 + degree days than we did last year. :o

* Yes, I really did say 400. Because Hyperbole always makes a story better. :mrgreen:

That's the case with my two-story house. The upstairs is quite a bit warmer. But I still keep the thermostat at 77-78 (upstairs). Is your thermostat downstairs?
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:25 am

It got into the 60's last night! (Well 69, but that counts right?) The A/C will get fixed today, which of course means it will immediately cool down outside, and we won't need it again this season.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:03 pm

geonuc wrote:
SciFiFisher wrote:0630 and the AC just kicked on. Of course, we run it at 70 degrees. Why you ask? Well, one of the things they never tell you about two story homes. The upstairs is always warmer than the downstairs. Much warmer. Much, Much, warmer. And the bedrooms are almost always upstairs. :twisted:

That's the case with my two-story house. The upstairs is quite a bit warmer. But I still keep the thermostat at 77-78 (upstairs). Is your thermostat downstairs?

Our thermostat is downstairs. I have tried throttling down the vents downstairs. Currently one kludge we are using is a fan at the foot of the stairs blowing cooler air upstairs. But, even then if I don't keep the thermostat set to 70-72 downstairs it will stay at 80 degrees or higher upstairs on the hotter days. It is slightly better since we put on a new roof and had them blow in some additional insulation. Come to find out those wooden shake shingles WERE doing pretty good insulation wise. Too bad everyone freaks out about the potential fire hazard. :o And, of course, the side of the house that the sun hits starting mid-afternoon has no shade. Which makes the bedrooms on that side about 5 degrees hotter than the side that stays at 73-75. So.... $350 this month for the cooling bill. :cry:

Yes, I am just techno-geeky enough that I took an indoor temp/humidity gauge around to various parts of the house. :lol:
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:52 pm

There are disadvantages to having large trees near the house, but with the shade they provide, we (usually) use A/C about 15-20 days a year.

And I have 2 different indoor/outdoor thermometers around the house, and an additional one in the basement. So no, not too geeky. :P
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Swift » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:49 pm

geonuc wrote:That's the case with my two-story house. The upstairs is quite a bit warmer. But I still keep the thermostat at 77-78 (upstairs). Is your thermostat downstairs?

Same thing at our house and the thermostat is not only downstairs, but in a somewhat isolated hallway.
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby Thumper » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:42 am

A/C fixed Thursday. Turned it off when we got home Sunday morning. Went down to 60 last night, down into the 50's tonight. But the A/C is fixed!
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:26 pm

Thumper wrote:A/C fixed Thursday. Turned it off when we got home Sunday morning. Went down to 60 last night, down into the 50's tonight. But the A/C is fixed!

There is a rule. :lol:
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:36 pm

I'm well aware of these rules.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:39 am

August has found it's way back. Low of 75 this morning. A/C humming along fine. Meter spinning wildly.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:40 pm

So constant sunshine, 80F days, and usually an inch of rain or more a week have combined to keep the grass growing like it's May. I haven't had a week off of mowing yet. First time in 17 seasons of mowing here. Some places almost plugged the mower yesterday.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:20 pm

Aaaaaaaaaand this months power bill was a few dollars higher than last months. I think we have peaked though. :cheer:
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:29 am

Finally acting like fall. The day temps were still climbing into the 80's, but it had started cooling down in the evenings. The last couple of nights it got down into the low 50's. With highs the next few days only in the low 60's. Grass is still growing. Need to dodge the rain later this week and make a pass. Might finally be able to take a week off after that...
It's been a glorious late summer/early fall.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:54 pm

We are still hitting high 90's. I am not sure if we are going to bother with Fall this year. :P
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:41 am

Seasonal Weather Milestone: I wore a jacket into work today. Granted, I picked it because we're having a big divisional potluck/team building luncheon today. The DD wants each group to perform a skit of some sort and I thought the jacket would be a nice part of my costume. But I would have probably worn it anyway. It's 53 and rainy this morning, only going up to 65. Back to waiting around and hoping for a dry enough day in the next week to mow.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

PreviousNext

Return to Hanging Around