Big 10 Bowl Performances

Big 10 Bowl Performances

Postby Thumper » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:48 pm

Two words:
Yikes, and
Ridiculous.

I had a long rant planned, but what's the point? I try hard to root for the conference teams during bowl season and when playing outside of conference. But I found myself almost rooting for the other teams just for spite. Cripes Penn State almost gave up more points than their basketball team did this week. And Michigan, after a mistake laden performance, that idiot coach blamed the loss on a call by the officials....again. Then we get to the 100% complete and total destruction of OSU in one of the semi final games. I predicted that, but not quite so complete. I never thought they were National Championship material, but this season as every other team lost, the crap surfaced to the top.

Apparently Maryland beat someone, Northwestern did have a nice performance. Wisconsin squeaked by Western Michigan. I like Western Michigan. They have a great program currently. But if you're Wisconsin, and are trying to claim you're at the top of the Big 10 and deserve a shot at the national title, you don't do it by squeaking by Western Michigan.

Maybe Washington and OSU should play each other in the suck bowl before next week's NC match up.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Re: Big 10 Bowl Performances

Postby pumpkinpi » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:21 pm

Thumper wrote:Two words:
Yikes, and
Ridiculous.

I had a long rant planned, but what's the point? I try hard to root for the conference teams during bowl season and when playing outside of conference. But I found myself almost rooting for the other teams just for spite. Cripes Penn State almost gave up more points than their basketball team did this week. And Michigan, after a mistake laden performance, that idiot coach blamed the loss on a call by the officials....again. Then we get to the 100% complete and total destruction of OSU in one of the semi final games. I predicted that, but not quite so complete. I never thought they were National Championship material, but this season as every other team lost, the crap surfaced to the top.

Apparently Maryland beat someone, Northwestern did have a nice performance. Wisconsin squeaked by Western Michigan. I like Western Michigan. They have a great program currently. But if you're Wisconsin, and are trying to claim you're at the top of the Big 10 and deserve a shot at the national title, you don't do it by squeaking by Western Michigan.

Maybe Washington and OSU should play each other in the suck bowl before next week's NC match up.

I have to admit that I was barely paying attention this year. I was completely unaware that Western Michigan did so well! My sister, my dad, and a lot of his family are alums of WMU. Had I been watching I definitely would have been rooting for them.
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby Thumper » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:57 pm

Fleck went 1-11, 4 years ago when he took over the head coaching job. They won their first bowl game ever last year. WMU finished the 2016 regular season undefeated. They were one score away from a perfect season.

I'm impressed.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby pumpkinpi » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:01 pm

And now, because 10 members of the UMinnesota football team+ a recruit gang-banged a woman, Fleck is head coach of the Gophers.

If anyone is interested in discussing this I'll open another thread. It's a hot topic in this neck of the woods, but if no one wants to talk about it I'm happy to leave it at this.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Postby Thumper » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:36 pm

You know I'm happy to talk about it. :P

It's a loss for WMU. But when you're doing well and you have aspirations to head to the next level, your window of options can be very brief. Izzo winning the NC at MSU back in 2000. That was his only shot probably at an NBA position. He stayed in East Lansing and was loyal. But his stock has never been as high as it was then.

The MN situation sounds like a cluster. I've only scanned some stories about coaches resigning in protest and what not. I'll need to get myself informed if we're going to discuss further.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby geonuc » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:01 pm

pumpkinpi wrote:And now, because 10 members of the UMinnesota football team+ a recruit gang-banged a woman, Fleck is head coach of the Gophers.

If anyone is interested in discussing this I'll open another thread. It's a hot topic in this neck of the woods, but if no one wants to talk about it I'm happy to leave it at this.

Go for it. I'm not sure what you're saying - are you unhappy that the university hired Fleck in the wake of the rape scandal, or what?
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby pumpkinpi » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:05 pm

geonuc wrote:
pumpkinpi wrote:And now, because 10 members of the UMinnesota football team+ a recruit gang-banged a woman, Fleck is head coach of the Gophers.

Go for it. I'm not sure what you're saying - are you unhappy that the university hired Fleck in the wake of the rape scandal, or what?

It will be a while before I can give this a proper answer. But no, I'm not unhappy about the hiring. I'm happy that Claeys was fired, and I am so disappointed in the culture of the athletic system and how its community supporters are making the coach and players out to be the victims. More later.
pumpkinpi

Postby geonuc » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:14 pm

pumpkinpi wrote:
geonuc wrote:

It will be a while before I can give this a proper answer. But no, I'm not unhappy about the hiring. I'm happy that Claeys was fired, and I am so disappointed in the culture of the athletic system and how its community supporters are making the coach and players out to be the victims. More later.

OK. You'll be preaching to the choir as far as I'm concerned. This whole athlete rape/domestic abuse syndrome in both college and professional ranks sickens me.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:45 pm

Sadly, the culture of hero worship and our athletes can do no wrong seems to go all the way down to the high school level. :cry:

I may try to talk Brite into coming back to the board. She is more attuned to this topic than I am. ;)
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:47 pm

SciFiFisher wrote:I may try to talk Brite into coming back to the board.
There would be the silver lining in this sad subject.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby pumpkinpi » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:59 pm

Wish granted. Head to the BR to read.
pumpkinpi

Postby Swift » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:53 pm

Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby Swift » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:56 pm

I take that back... this is my favorite bowl performance.
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby Thumper » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:20 pm

Neither of those appear to be Big 10 related. And is that second one even technically a bowl? :P
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:45 pm

Swift wrote:I take that back... this is my favorite bowl performance.

Stop showing off your mussels. :P
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Parrothead » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:20 pm

May not be Big 10, but I enjoyed last night's Championship game.
Parrothead

Postby Thumper » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:18 pm

Two great programs put on a heck of a game. Alabama's vaunted defense couldn't hold Clemson on the last drive. Just the way ESPN would have scripted it.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:19 pm

Except of course flipped the other way around since ESPN owns the SEC.. ;)
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:41 pm

Big 10 did alot better this year in the Bowls. They were undefeated going into New Year's Day, and all but one team beat the spread. Several of the wins were impressive over some pretty good teams. Only Michigan let the conference down this year. Seems they can only play tough against OSU. I tried my best to root for them but Harbaugh is such a huge flaming @ss it's almost impossible. At least he gets it honestly. His brother in the NFL is a total d|ck too.

Anyway, much better conference performance as a whole this year for the Big 10. Anybody catch the Rose Bowl? Some are saying it was the best college football game ever. I wouldn't go quite that far (especially since the score looked more like a basketball game), but it was entertaining. And I didn't mind seeing Mayfield dejected; speaking of huge flaming d|cks.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Return to Hanging Around