NHL 2016 - 17

Re: NHL 2016 - 17

Postby Thumper » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:40 pm

Saw some good hockey last night, none of it in Pittsburgh. At least it wasn't a blowout disaster there. But the Penguins could basically cruise to victory from midway through the second period on. The good hockey I saw was in Edmonton as the Oilers took on San Jose. That was exciting to watch but with time zone differences and early morning wake ups, I didn't get to see the come from behind overtime Sharks win. Also missed the Blues going up on the Wild. Not a Wild fan, sorry PumpkinPi.

It was clear most of the Jackets were confused last night, they're conditioned to know that there is no hockey in April. This is golf season and being on the ice this time of year is baffling.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby pumpkinpi » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:05 pm

I'm not a die hard fan, so I didn't take the Wild's first game loss badly. I'd enjoy watching them advance through the playoffs but won't take it personally if they lose. The only team I hold that passion for is the Detroit Tigers.
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby Thumper » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:18 pm

I'm sorry, they didn't make the NHL playoffs this season. :P
BTW, I just found out I'm officially going to Game 4 Jackets-Penguins on Tuesday.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Parrothead » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:11 pm

Saw a piece on the local news, a couple of days ago, and there is a piece in today's paper. For fans looking to buy tickets, it could be cheaper buying for the games in Washington. Upper level tickets for the first 2 games $108 ($99 for game 1, $118 for game 2), $120 gas for round trip drive, hotel (Falls Church Va.) $107/night. Total $657. Cost for a seat in the upper deck (unobstructed view) upwards of $330/ticket in Toronto. Standing room ticket just over $250.

As long as the temp gets warm enough, I'll wear a Maple Leafs Hawaiian shirt, while watching on tv. Go Leafs!
Parrothead

Postby Thumper » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:18 pm

My ticket will cost me $55 bucks. First row, upper bowl.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby pumpkinpi » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:25 pm

Thumper wrote:My ticket will cost me $55 bucks. First row, upper bowl.

Wow. That's cheaper than any seat for the Wild's regular season games.
I've gone to a few games, but we've never paid. We've always gotten them through MrPi's work.
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby Thumper » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:43 pm

Prices appear to have gone up considerably in the last 24 hours. Only "resale" tickets available. Cheapest I can find is a bit over $100 bucks.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Parrothead » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:31 am

Game 1 - Leafs lose in OT.
Game 2 - Leafs win in 2OT.

This could be a long series. :duel:

Go Leafs! :cheer: :wave: :cheer:
Parrothead

Postby vendic » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:11 pm

I am a leaf in the wind.
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby Thumper » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:27 am

Monumental choke. Jackets drop the third game in a row after being up 3-1 last night. That is pretty much their playbook. It's hard to win an NHL game. It's hard to beat the defending NHL champs. It's also hard to beat an average high school team when you constantly turn the puck over in your own end and can't advance to mid ice.

A 3-1 lead, especially in the third period is pretty much game over for any competent team, you're just waiting for the clock to tick down.

At least I get to go to one more hockey game tomorrow.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:25 am

Well, I did not see the last CBJ game of the year. Inspiring if not inconsistent (as usual) play. Game should have been over early in the second period but the guys apparently wanted to keep it exciting for the fans until the final 10 seconds. Woefully poor officiating (also as usual) although there were two calls against the Penguins I couldn't believe the refs made. And my low opinion of Crosby was reinforced and moved a little lower.
Game 5 tomorrow in Pittsburgh.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:02 pm

Low opinion? Why?
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby Thumper » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:51 pm

Well, he doesn't do much on defense. Doesn't really skate hard if doesn't have the puck. When he gets in trouble he seems to always have a body guard to protect him. (Yes, I know all the good ones had protectors to free them up so they could do their things, even Gretzky) but he instigates confrontations then has to be "saved" by one of his goons. Or he takes a dive. He took two last night. Great skater, great stick handler, but....
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:08 pm

Watched part of the the Ducks-Flames game last night. It was late, so only saw the first period. It seemed like a completely different game than what I see here in Cbus. First of all, 90% of the fans had official RED team jerseys. It was a Red out, of identical jerseys. Second, they just sat there, politely watching. It was frenzied pandemonium at Nationwide Arena Tuesday night. We were at about 1500 people "over capacity." And the fans were standing, screaming, dancing, and waving their complimentary towels from the moment they got there until well after we dispersed into the night. It was silent watching the Flames, you could hear the pucks hit the sticks, heck you could hear the players get on their edges. It was a fascinating dichotomy.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:27 am

Break out the golf clubs.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Parrothead » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:29 pm

St. Louis dispatched the Wild yesterday. The Rangers ended the Habs' season. Boston and Ottawa go this afternoon, Bruins trying to stay in it. Leafs face elimination tonight. I have loved this series against the Caps, all games have been decided by one goal, 4 of the 5 in OT. I kinda like how Kadri has gotten under Ovie's skin, this series. Must win games now, for the Buds.

Go Leafs!

I agree with Thumper about Crosby, great player and play-maker, but he instigates a lot of crap. Then again there are players, with a lot less skill, that make/have made a living off of that type of agitating.

ETA: My earlier dream scenario of the Leafs in the Cup Final, I'd love to see them go against the Blues. Leafs haven't won/been to a Final since '67, St. Louis is the only team (still around) from the first expansion that has not won a Cup. North Stars won theirs after relocating to Dallas.
Parrothead

Postby Parrothead » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:14 pm

The Leafs' season is over. They lost 2-1 in OT. Washington took the series in 6 games, all games decided by one goal, five of them in OT. Similar to the Boston-Ottawa series.

Next round:

East: Ottawa vs. NYR and Pittsburgh vs. Washington.

West: St. Louis vs. Nashville and Anaheim vs. Edmonton.

Some good hockey left to be played.
Parrothead

Postby Parrothead » Wed May 03, 2017 12:02 am

Never nice to see that type of injury. Crosby suffers another concussion. He'll miss Game 4 for sure. No extra discipline for Niskinin, as it was deemed the hit (cross-check) to the head was unintentional.

I've been enjoying the St. Louis - Nashville series.

It was 50 years ago today that the Leafs clinched their last Stanley Cup. Sigh...
Parrothead

Postby SciFiFisher » Wed May 03, 2017 12:40 am

Parrothead wrote:Never nice to see that type of injury. Crosby suffers another concussion. He'll miss Game 4 for sure. No extra discipline for Niskinin, as it was deemed the hit (cross-check) to the head was unintentional.

I've been enjoying the St. Louis - Nashville series.

It was 50 years ago today that the Leafs clinched their last Stanley Cup. Sigh...

Well, the Cubs made it this year. Maybe the Leafs will be next. :P
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Rommie » Wed May 03, 2017 4:13 pm

Leafs are already out. :P

I haven't been watching much of the current series between Washington and Pittsburgh, but do want to watch tonight as any competent doctor would keep Crosby out for at least two weeks if you look at the tape of that check. (Fun fact, the worst concussions of Crosby's career are all from Washington! His other really bad one was in a Winter Classic game some years ago, he was out for almost a year.) So I think a lot really rides on the game tonight if the Pens have a chance of winning the series, either in me knowing I can watch them later or this being near the end of the run. :(
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby Thumper » Wed May 03, 2017 6:52 pm

Yeah, I watched most of that WASH-PITT game but didn't get to see the hit until afterwards. You don't want to see anybody hurt like that. He took a doozie. It was such a weird combination. He took a mean slash to the shoulder that then brushed by his helmet. That seemed to really throw him off balance and he spun around very strangely and started to go down right as the second guy came in and took his head off. If he would have been standing straight up, he'd have taken the hit in the middle of the chest. I'm sure he meant to hit him and hit him hard, but it was just bad luck that he was falling down and caught it in the head. Mrs. T was more worried about his leg being folded underneath him. She then didn't want to watch me replay it over and over to show her the hard shots he took to the head. I don't know if they called anything on the initial slash, but that was obviously intentional. I doubt they'll keep him out two weeks minimum like they should.

I've been enjoying Rangers-Ott and St. Louis-Nash, in addition to the Pitt series. I've never watched this much hockey...
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Parrothead » Wed May 03, 2017 8:15 pm

AFAIK, the only penalty went to Niskinin. 5 minutes and a game misconduct for the hit to the head. Ovechkin should have gotten one for the slash, as well.
Parrothead

Postby Thumper » Thu May 04, 2017 11:25 am

I agree.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Fri May 05, 2017 12:05 pm

Watched most of Game 4 of Rangers-Senators. Don't really have a dog in that fight so I guess I was hoping to keep a Canadian team in the running for Parrothead. However Rangers tied the series up at 2-2. Senators really didn't play well. It was good to see Rick Nash doing some fun stuff. Then once the game was decided, it got extremely chippy at the end. I blame Ottawa, but I'm not keyed in on the subtle nuances of beating each others' brains out, hitting each other with sticks, and such. The color announcer seemed to think it had to be done for honor and setting up Game 5 properly and such. There were 5 stoppages of play for fighting in the last minute and a half. Whatever. And if I hear, "High short side is the new 5 hole," one more time, I'm going to scream. It's not new if I've heard you say it 12 times in the last week.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Wed May 10, 2017 1:23 pm

After a hard fight, the Senators move on. So one Canadian team still in it. :P
Pittsburgh-Washington going down to the wire, what a series.
Predators make it to the next round.
Lost track of the Ducks.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

PreviousNext

Return to Hanging Around