Microaggressions

Microaggressions

Postby SciFi Chick » Tue May 16, 2017 10:04 pm

This shit is out of control. You CANNOT police people on the basis that any bias is aggressive. It's absurd. Intent matters!!!
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Re: Microaggressions

Postby vendic » Wed May 17, 2017 1:01 am

What about nanoaggressions?
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby grapes » Wed May 17, 2017 1:50 am

vendic wrote:What about nanoaggressions?

That, sir, is a picosgression
grapes
Resident News Hound

Postby SciFi Chick » Wed May 17, 2017 9:15 am

:rofl:
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby Swift » Wed May 17, 2017 2:17 pm

grapes wrote:

pika-aggression

I'm glad I'm not in college any longer and have to deal with stupidity.
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby pumpkinpi » Wed May 17, 2017 2:29 pm

Swift wrote:
grapes wrote:

pika-aggression

I'm glad I'm not in college any longer and have to deal with stupidity.

More specifically, a poké-pika-agression
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby SciFiFisher » Wed May 17, 2017 2:43 pm

SciFi Chick wrote:This shit is out of control. You CANNOT police people on the basis that any bias is aggressive. It's absurd. Intent matters!!!

On a personal level I agree with you. Unfortunately, (society has decided) intent no longer matters. All that matters is perception. As long as I perceive your actions or words as offensive, demeaning, or alarming then I get to decide if it is a micro-aggression. Or a cultural appropriation. Or sexual harassment. Of course, these rules do not apply if I am white, male, and a member of the military. :P

I think in some part intent has gotten a bad rap because it is usually the first line of defense for douche bags when they mis-behave. "Oh, I am sorry you took what I said out of context. My intent was never to make you feel marginalized or belittled. But, you people are just so sensitive!"

What you are seeing is also a change in how society has decided to deal with personal and social justice issues. Essentially, it is one group of people trying to impose their own views on another group through mass shaming. Notice the way the group encourages dog piling on someone who commits a micro aggression. Usually done through social media such as Face Palm or Tweeter. :P
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby vendic » Wed May 17, 2017 3:53 pm

SciFiFisher wrote:
SciFi Chick wrote:This shit is out of control. You CANNOT police people on the basis that any bias is aggressive. It's absurd. Intent matters!!!

On a personal level I agree with you. Unfortunately, (society has decided) intent no longer matters. All that matters is perception. As long as I perceive your actions or words as offensive, demeaning, or alarming then I get to decide if it is a micro-aggression. Or a cultural appropriation. Or sexual harassment. Of course, these rules do not apply if I am white, male, and a member of the military. :P

I think in some part intent has gotten a bad rap because it is usually the first line of defense for douche bags when they mis-behave. "Oh, I am sorry you took what I said out of context. My intent was never to make you feel marginalized or belittled. But, you people are just so sensitive!"

What you are seeing is also a change in how society has decided to deal with personal and social justice issues. Essentially, it is one group of people trying to impose their own views on another group through mass shaming. Notice the way the group encourages dog piling on someone who commits a micro aggression. Usually done through social media such as Face Palm or Tweeter. :P

Arrggggghhhhh!!!!!
You nanotriggered me!!!!
You're using logic and reason to mansplain to me!!!
Going to my safe zone to play games and use coloring books, help me trigglypuff, help me!
Ahhh. I feel much better now
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby SciFiFisher » Wed May 17, 2017 5:46 pm

vendic wrote:
SciFiFisher wrote:

Arrggggghhhhh!!!!!
You nanotriggered me!!!!
You're using logic and reason to mansplain to me!!!
Going to my safe zone to play games and use coloring books, help me trigglypuff, help me!
Ahhh. I feel much better now

roll:
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby SciFiFisher » Wed May 17, 2017 5:50 pm

Arrrgh.... I have committed a micro mini nano pico aggression. I totally lost my mind and forgot that a white male military short haired neanderthal couldn’t possibly be right about anything. Or that mansplaining is the ultimate MMNPA. :P

I hearby humbly and contritely swear to never do it again. (until the next time). :P
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Rommie » Wed May 17, 2017 7:52 pm

My experience with microaggressions is unfortunately the people who regularly engage in them are never the ones who give a fuck, and I hate to say it but that problem will likely only be solved when the current generation of old people die out.

Also, don't believe everything you believe about college these days from videos like this. Of course they're not telling you how many people they interviewed. And yeah, a lot of these matter in context- my current adviser here in Canada is Aussie, and left because he got so tired of the racism, where shit would happen to him like people saying "where are you really from?" after they ask where he's from and he says born in Sydney. And, if it matters, perfect Aussie accent, just non-Anglo looking because he's Jewish. I'd be pretty tired of being asked where I'm "really" from too in that context, and am certainly not going to tell him he doesn't have a right to his feelings about it.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby SciFi Chick » Wed May 17, 2017 8:50 pm

Rommie wrote:My experience with microaggressions is unfortunately the people who regularly engage in them are never the ones who give a fuck, and I hate to say it but that problem will likely only be solved when the current generation of old people die out.

So it's old people? That's not the impression I've gotten.

Also, don't believe everything you believe about college these days from videos like this.

It's pretty handy to dismiss my concerns because I picked a flippant video. If I wrote down everything I've been studying about this, it would be a wall of text and you'd start comparing me to vendic. So, please don't presume to know my beliefs about colleges just because I posted one video. ;)

Of course they're not telling you how many people they interviewed. And yeah, a lot of these matter in context- my current adviser here in Canada is Aussie, and left because he got so tired of the racism, where shit would happen to him like people saying "where are you really from?" after they ask where he's from and he says born in Sydney. And, if it matters, perfect Aussie accent, just non-Anglo looking because he's Jewish. I'd be pretty tired of being asked where I'm "really" from too in that context, and am certainly not going to tell him he doesn't have a right to his feelings about it.

Just so I'm clear, as I don't want to make assumptions about what you mean, but are you saying that someone wanting to know his ethnic history and poorly communicates that curiosity is racist? And it was enough to make him leave Australia?

And no one is saying that people don't have a right to their feelings, but they don't automatically become mind readers that get to ascribe racist intent to the person that offended them. They also don't get to police that speech.

If I offend someone, I want to know that I offended them, especially if it was an accident. Then I can find out why and see if I need to correct my behavior, but being told I'm aggressive or racist because I didn't learn all the politically correct speech is just a way to control people and continue celebrating the idea of victimhood, in my opinion.
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby vendic » Wed May 17, 2017 9:08 pm

I'm the only one allowed on this forum to do walls of text! lol
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby vendic » Wed May 17, 2017 9:20 pm

Rommie wrote:My experience with microaggressions is unfortunately the people who regularly engage in them are never the ones who give a fuck, and I hate to say it but that problem will likely only be solved when the current generation of old people die out.

Every minute of every day I am working on it, but current projections are estimated at about 30 or 40 years. :P
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby Rommie » Wed May 17, 2017 9:55 pm

SciFi Chick wrote:

So it's old people? That's not the impression I've gotten.

I've never had a fellow student really say anything that made me feel I didn't belong. Old guys with permanent positions, on the other hand...

Also, don't believe everything you believe about college these days from videos like this.

It's pretty handy to dismiss my concerns because I picked a flippant video. If I wrote down everything I've been studying about this, it would be a wall of text and you'd start comparing me to vendic. So, please don't presume to know my beliefs about colleges just because I posted one video. ;)

Well that's all you posted, so that's all I've got to go on. ;)

Of course they're not telling you how many people they interviewed. And yeah, a lot of these matter in context- my current adviser here in Canada is Aussie, and left because he got so tired of the racism, where shit would happen to him like people saying "where are you really from?" after they ask where he's from and he says born in Sydney. And, if it matters, perfect Aussie accent, just non-Anglo looking because he's Jewish. I'd be pretty tired of being asked where I'm "really" from too in that context, and am certainly not going to tell him he doesn't have a right to his feelings about it.

Just so I'm clear, as I don't want to make assumptions about what you mean, but are you saying that someone wanting to know his ethnic history and poorly communicates that curiosity is racist? And it was enough to make him leave Australia?

And no one is saying that people don't have a right to their feelings, but they don't automatically become mind readers that get to ascribe racist intent to the person that offended them. They also don't get to police that speech.

If I offend someone, I want to know that I offended them, especially if it was an accident. Then I can find out why and see if I need to correct my behavior, but being told I'm aggressive or racist because I didn't learn all the politically correct speech is just a way to control people and continue celebrating the idea of victimhood, in my opinion.

[/quote]

Once or twice doesn't matter obviously, nor does it when you know someone in more than a casual context. My understanding is though is that when you are regularly asked this basically because you don't look the same as others around you, it gets pretty old because it makes you feel like you don't belong. Especially when people ask "where are you really from" pretty much when they meet you, and you tell them you were born in Sydney, but that's not accepted as an answer. My adviser is annoyed that he couldn't just be Australian to many people, and was a bit off put when people would ask him this when they first met and didn't take "just Australian" for an answer, especially in contexts where one's ethnicity doesn't matter.

There were obviously other things that made him decide to leave and conclude that Australia is racist, which I won't get into now because it wouldn't be appropriate of me to share publicly, but I'm just providing one example of a microaggression because that's the topic at hand. For me for example, no matter where I go if people ask me where I from, if I say "originally Pittsburgh" no one is going to say "but where are you really from?"
Rommie

Postby SciFi Chick » Wed May 17, 2017 10:01 pm

Rommie wrote:Once or twice doesn't matter obviously, nor does it when you know someone in more than a casual context. My understanding is though is that when you are regularly asked this basically because you don't look the same as others around you, it gets pretty old because it makes you feel like you don't belong. Especially when people ask "where are you really from" pretty much when they meet you, and you tell them you were born in Sydney, but that's not accepted as an answer. My adviser is annoyed that he couldn't just be Australian to many people, and was a bit off put when people would ask him this when they first met and didn't take "just Australian" for an answer, especially in contexts where one's ethnicity doesn't matter.

That is rude. I tend to think the word 'rude' covers it. It's also pretty common in Australia, and I can see why it would bug him. For the record, my complaint is against this whole culture of "safe spaces" and "getting triggered" and I really do believe that the word "microaggression" is being used to target innocent people and suppress free speech. No, I don't think all colleges are like this, but I wouldn't want to wait until they all are to address it. The fact that some young people think we need to suppress speech means the message isn't being shared correctly. What needs to happen is that we all communicate more rather than less. Speaking of weird things that people do - I had no idea, until recently, that it's a thing to go up to black people and ask to touch their hair. WTF? I can't even imagine doing that to anyone! I don't know that it's racism though. Some people just have no sense of propriety.

There were obviously other things that made him decide to leave and conclude that Australia is racist, which I won't get into now because it wouldn't be appropriate of me to share publicly, but I'm just providing one example of a microaggression because that's the topic at hand. For me for example, no matter where I go if people ask me where I from, if I say "originally Pittsburgh" no one is going to say "but where are you really from?"

I wouldn't want you to reveal his private stuff. I just wanted to make sure it was other stuff as well. I've got a couple of friends down there that keep telling me Australia is racist, but coming from the south of the U.S., it was difficult to take them seriously. I'm making note of the fact that I'm hearing it from a different source.
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby vendic » Wed May 17, 2017 10:21 pm

I get asked all the time and I ask people all the time. I don't get offended at all.
I have noticed a trend that more and more people are getting upset, so I clear it up. Still I have a chat and they are good afterwards.

It's just people's natural curiosity.
I'm actually quite happy when someone recognizes I'm not originally from Australia and then we have a fun chat.
Some people just seem to be prone to get offended.

I know people that get offended when someone say's, "how you doing?", or "How you going".
I personally look at intent. They are trying to be friendly. They might come from an area where that is the customary greeting. I know some country towns where that is the standard greeting. Five miles North might be, "G'Day". or "hi".
So if a person gets upset, it can actually be a case of their own intolerance towards other cultures/people, but getting upset anyway.

Just a different perspective to look at.
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby Rommie » Wed May 17, 2017 10:24 pm

SciFi Chick wrote:
Rommie wrote:Once or twice doesn't matter obviously, nor does it when you know someone in more than a casual context. My understanding is though is that when you are regularly asked this basically because you don't look the same as others around you, it gets pretty old because it makes you feel like you don't belong. Especially when people ask "where are you really from" pretty much when they meet you, and you tell them you were born in Sydney, but that's not accepted as an answer. My adviser is annoyed that he couldn't just be Australian to many people, and was a bit off put when people would ask him this when they first met and didn't take "just Australian" for an answer, especially in contexts where one's ethnicity doesn't matter.

That is rude. I tend to think the word 'rude' covers it. It's also pretty common in Australia, and I can see why it would bug him. For the record, my complaint is against this whole culture of "safe spaces" and "getting triggered" and I really do believe that the word "microaggression" is being used to target innocent people and suppress free speech. No, I don't think all colleges are like this, but I wouldn't want to wait until they all are to address it. The fact that some young people think we need to suppress speech means the message isn't being shared correctly. What needs to happen is that we all communicate more rather than less. Speaking of weird things that people do - I had no idea, until recently, that it's a thing to go up to black people and ask to touch their hair. WTF? I can't even imagine doing that to anyone! I don't know that it's racism though. Some people just have no sense of propriety.

I wouldn't want you to reveal his private stuff. I just wanted to make sure it was other stuff as well. I've got a couple of friends down there that keep telling me Australia is racist, but coming from the south of the U.S., it was difficult to take them seriously. I'm making note of the fact that I'm hearing it from a different source.

To be fair, I don't think my adviser would move to the South either. :P

And yeah, most of this stuff would just be covered by rudeness, but I guess just calling people out for being rude wasn't working.
Rommie

Postby Thumper » Thu May 18, 2017 11:53 am

I've been waiting my whole life for the old people to just die off so we'd have a better world. Then one day I realized I am one. :?
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Thu May 18, 2017 7:47 pm

Thumper wrote:I've been waiting my whole life for the old people to just die off so we'd have a better world. Then one day I realized I am one. :?

It happens to every generation. Did you ever wonder where the hippies went? :P
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby vendic » Thu May 18, 2017 8:49 pm

SciFiFisher wrote:
Thumper wrote:I've been waiting my whole life for the old people to just die off so we'd have a better world. Then one day I realized I am one. :?

Politics and porn?
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby Rommie » Thu May 18, 2017 10:49 pm

Hey good news SFC, we have a retreat here in a few weeks, and one of the topics covered is going to be microaggressions! So I can let you know what I learn if you want. ;)
Rommie

Postby SciFi Chick » Thu May 18, 2017 11:30 pm

Rommie wrote:Hey good news SFC, we have a retreat here in a few weeks, and one of the topics covered is going to be microaggressions! So I can let you know what I learn if you want. ;)

Absolutely. I want to hear both perspectives. I'm not so old yet that I can't change my mind. :D
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby vendic » Fri May 19, 2017 12:52 am

I really want to know from someone in the field, can Caucasian straight males be victims of microaggression because everyone keeps telling them that they are privileged?

I am seriously asking this, it's not a joke.
From what I can tell, the general consensus is that they can not be, but I'd like to know from someone teaching this stuff.
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri May 19, 2017 2:59 pm

vendic wrote:
SciFiFisher wrote:

Politics and porn?

And Business. roll:
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Next

Return to Hanging Around