150 eh

150 eh

Postby Parrothead » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:44 am

July 1, 2017 be Canada's 150th. My playlist today will be strictly Canadian and a number of Bloody Caesars will be consumed.

Cheers! :cake: :cheer: :rockon: :cheers: :drink: :beer: :dance: :wave:
Parrothead

Re: 150 eh

Postby SciFiFisher » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:08 pm

Happy Birthday Canada! :wave:
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:33 am

Bring on the Rush.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby vendic » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:05 pm

Happy birthday.

For some crazy reason I thought Canada was older than Oz.
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby pumpkinpi » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:49 pm

Wow! Was it a big celebration there?
We're 9 years from 250. If we're still a country, it will be a blowout!
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby squ1d » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:40 am

vendic wrote:Happy birthday.

For some crazy reason I thought Canada was older than Oz.

It is.

Australia was federated in 1901.
squ1d

Postby vendic » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:02 pm

D'oh.

I kept remembering the bi-centennial.
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby SciFiFisher » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:19 pm

vendic wrote:D'oh.

I kept remembering the bi-centennial.

That's the anniversary of the penal colony being established. :P
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Rommie » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:05 pm

Happy belated Canada Day!

I confess I skipped the festivities, instead heading to NH to spend a nice long weekend with my family. But I got a picture of the giant rubber duck in Toronto harbor as I was flying out, which we all know is what really matters.

The funny thing about the holiday is my dad and uncle, who lived in Canada at the time and had no idea they'd both ultimately become US citizens and live there for decades, were really shocked to hear that it was Canada 150 as they remembered the 100th anniversary so well. Both were living in Montreal at the time, and remember visiting the expo and what a big deal that was- I guess a thing like that is no longer a thing, but it was huge at the time!

On a final note, as my studies in Canada have now been extended to the end of the year I got my student permit yesterday at the border! Basically I didn't need one for under six months, but over six months you do, and in Canada if you're American you can just rock up at the border and get one. So hey, it's definitely my Canada year! 8-)
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby Parrothead » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:37 pm

IIRC, July 1, 1867 , under the British North America Act, Upper and Lower Canada (Ontario and Quebec), Nova Scotia and New Brunswick became the Dominion of Canada. Other provinces joined the confederation at later dates.

Rommie: I went to Expo '86 in Vancouver, too young at the time of Expo '67, celebrating the centennial. I do remember the "Ca-na-da" song and Ontario's "Place to live, place to stand" song, from '67. Visited Montreal in 1980, during that weekend the group visiting we stopped at: Mount Royal/St. Joseph's Oratory, Biosphere, Olympic stadium (a yellow seat, amongst the blue in the outfield seats, marked the longest homer hit, it was by the Pirates' Willie Stargell, IIRC. ) and the La Ronde amusement park.

Thumper: Yeah, I played some Rush. Other canuck music included: Blue Peter, Blue Rodeo, National Velvet, BTO, The Guess Who, The Band, Tom Cochrane/Red Ryder, Max Webster/Kim Mitchell, Bryan Adams, Lisa Dalbello, B.B. Gabor, The Demics, Toby Swann, Gowan, The Spoons, Powder Blues Band, April Wine, Downchild Blues Band, Headpins, Chilliwack, Crowbar, Gordon Lightfoot, Stompin' Tom, Images In Vogue, Strange Advance, Saga ...
Parrothead

Postby pumpkinpi » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:31 pm

Parrothead wrote:
Thumper: Yeah, I played some Rush. Other canuck music included: Blue Peter, Blue Rodeo, National Velvet, BTO, The Guess Who, The Band, Tom Cochrane/Red Ryder, Max Webster/Kim Mitchell, Bryan Adams, Lisa Dalbello, B.B. Gabor, The Demics, Toby Swann, Gowan, The Spoons, Powder Blues Band, April Wine, Downchild Blues Band, Headpins, Chilliwack, Crowbar, Gordon Lightfoot, Stompin' Tom, Images In Vogue, Strange Advance, Saga ...

No Justin Bieber? What about Robin Sparkles?
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby Parrothead » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:53 pm

pumpkinpi wrote:
Parrothead wrote:

I had to google Robin Sparkles (I didn't watch HIMYM) so no ;) , no Beiber. There was some Rough Trade, Rational Youth, Oscar Peterson, Neil Young, Alannah Myles, Alanis Morrisette, Shania Twain, David Wilcox and some others. Men Without Hats, Moral Support, The Box and some others, I only have on lp but my turntable died.
Parrothead

Postby Thumper » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:18 am

Parrothead wrote:
pumpkinpi wrote:
Parrothead wrote:

I had to google Robin Sparkles (I didn't watch HIMYM) so no ;) , no Beiber. There was some Rough Trade, Rational Youth, Oscar Peterson, Neil Young, Alannah Myles, Alanis Morrisette, Shania Twain, David Wilcox and some others. Men Without Hats, Moral Support, The Box and some others, I only have on lp but my turntable died.
Don't forget Triumph and Anne Murray.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Parrothead » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:19 pm

Trooper, Fludd, Klaatu, Leonard Cohen, Ian Thomas, The Stampeders ...
Parrothead

Postby Thumper » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:58 pm

Parrothead wrote:Trooper, Fludd, Klaatu, Leonard Cohen, Ian Thomas, The Stampeders ...
Nickelback?

How about the Duhks?
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Return to Hanging Around