Where does the time go?

Re: Where does the time go?

Postby SciFiFisher » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:33 pm

I decided to give you all an update. Back in June I was confident that orders would soon be received making my (premature) announcement of retirement from the U.S. Army Reserve official.

Cue the laughing hyenas.... roll: roll: roll: roll: roll: roll: roll: roll:

Long Story Short a series of SNAFU's and FUBARS ensued. My official retirement orders finally arrived on October 10, 2017. Approximately 3 months late. The official effective date of the retirement was November 10, 2017. For those keeping track; Yes, it took over one year from the time I submitted my packet until the day I am actually retired.

Overall, not a bad finish to a career that spanned 40 years, 9 months, and 17 days. Having had more than one SNAFU in regards to records, packets being lost, and pay being delayed it was somewhat fitting that my career should end with a series of relatively harmless SNAFU's. If I had received my orders with an effective date of August 1, 2017 I would be about $10,000 dollars richer. That's about how much I would have received in retirement pay minus the supplemental pay I submitted for while waiting for orders. Unfortunately, there is no back dating to when I wanted the checks to start coming. :P

So, officially I am now (no really) retired from the U.S. Army Reserves. I plan to continue to work for the Veteran's Health Administration for about 6 more years before I really really retire.

For those who are not sure about the acronyms I used but are too afraid to ask:

FUBAR = Fucked Up Beyond All Repair (or Recognition)
SNAFU= Situation Normal - All Fucked Up
Last edited by SciFiFisher on Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Swift » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:12 am

SciFiFisher wrote:The official effective date of the retirement was November 10, 2016. For those keeping track; Yes, it took over one year from the time I submitted my packet until the day I am actually retired.

Maybe they wanted it to be around Veteran's Day.

Congratulations sir.

And yes, I know both FUBAR and SNAFU. They are pretty applicable in the civilian world too.
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby geonuc » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:09 pm

Sounds about right.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby pumpkinpi » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:12 pm

I hear people use SNAFU quite a bit, in a context where I don't think they know what it really stands for. The just think it means a mistake.

Congratulastions!
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby Swift » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:38 pm

Swift wrote:And yes, I know both FUBAR and SNAFU. They are pretty applicable in the civilian world too.

Along this line, I used to work with a business manager who, when we proposed a process change or new or changed piece of equipment, would ask "what is this fix going to break?". :lol:
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby code monkey » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:51 pm

SciFiFisher wrote:For those who are not sure about the acronyms I used but are too afraid to ask:

fisher, I hate to break it to you but those terms are well known in the civilian world. and I doubt that there is anyone here afraid to ask for clarification. of anything.

do enjoy retirement!
and still i persist in wondering whether folly must always be our nemesis. edgar pangborn

come gentle night. come loving black browed night
give me my romeo. and when he shall die
take him and cut him out in little stars
and he will make the face of heaven so fine
that all will be in love with night
and pay no worship to the garish sun. william shakespeare
code monkey

Postby geonuc » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:21 pm

While FUBAR and SNAFU may have migrated to the civilian world, I believe they originated in the US military.

So we own them. :ak:
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby SciFiFisher » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:28 pm

code monkey wrote:
SciFiFisher wrote:For those who are not sure about the acronyms I used but are too afraid to ask:

fisher, I hate to break it to you but those terms are well known in the civilian world. and I doubt that there is anyone here afraid to ask for clarification. of anything.

do enjoy retirement!

It's just good manners when you use an acronym to make sure people know what it means. ;)
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Parrothead » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:09 pm

Enjoy retirement!
Parrothead

Postby Thumper » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:22 pm

I second that!
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Previous

Return to Hanging Around