Winter Olympics

Re: Winter Olympics

Postby Thumper » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:43 pm

I'm guessing because the majority of the "competitors" weren't considering it a competition as such and more of a party. Also, another way to "stick it to the man." We don't have to perform for the man to get a scrap. We'll party all night, screw off all day, and just share the wealth.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby pumpkinpi » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:15 pm

Ugh, I might go through the whole Olympics without seeing any of it beyond what we catch in restaurants with sports on screens. It's just too crazy to have time to sit and watch anything.

I hope to watch some of the skating with Rooster (figure and speed). She got really into the gymnastics in the last Olympics.
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby geonuc » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:56 pm

pumpkinpi wrote:Ugh, I might go through the whole Olympics without seeing any of it beyond what we catch in restaurants with sports on screens. It's just too crazy to have time to sit and watch anything.

I hope to watch some of the skating with Rooster (figure and speed). She got really into the gymnastics in the last Olympics.

I may as well. We don't have a TV subscription yet and the NBC app doesn't work nearly well enough to be watchable with my Amazon Fire stick.

I want to watch curling.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:50 pm

There is plenty of that to be watched. ;)
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:31 pm

Yeah, it's on TV all the time here! "The road to curling gold! Here is the curling schedule!" (Legit said a few nights ago by the announcer.)
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby Parrothead » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:43 pm

The Canada - US women's hockey game was entertaining. Our men's team started off with a victory over Switzerland.

CBC had the curling last night, TSN was carrying the Pairs figure skating. SN had the Leafs vs Blue Jackets.

High winds seem to keep delaying the alpine events.
Parrothead

Postby geonuc » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:22 pm

Rommie wrote:Yeah, it's on TV all the time here! "The road to curling gold! Here is the curling schedule!" (Legit said a few nights ago by the announcer.)

Thumper wrote:There is plenty of that to be watched. ;)

Hmmph. Rub it in.

Even watching the Olympics at a bar around here is unsatisfying. For one, the broadcasts that are on seem to jump around event to event, rarely staying on one thing more than half a minute. Secondly, watching a lot of the events is enhanced by the sound being on, which it isn't in bars.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Rommie » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:52 pm

Have you gone to a bar and explicitly asked for a curling match on a TV? Usually they're happy to put on whatever if they have it, especially if they have multiple TVs.
Rommie

Postby Thumper » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:54 pm

Sorry. My only beef is that the captions on the segments I'm recording off of NBC Sports don't necessarily match the content. I come home and start a segment that advertises Speed Skating and Alpine skiing, and I get literally 3 hours of curling. Also, even though the segments are broken into usually 3 hour blocks, the coverage doesn't match the breaks. So one 3 hour block will end halfway through, say the long program pairs figure skating. Then I can't find or don't have the right segment to watch the second half. First World Problem.

You're right about the sound. They have mics everywhere. It sounds like they actually remote mic-ed the skates. The volume enhances the experience (even with the crackers and noise makers in the crowd).

Edit: What Rommie said.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:27 pm

Luge Relay, not quite as scary or dangerous as I first imagined. :P Awesome skeleton performance for the home team. Finally some alpine skiing. Plenty of carnage in snowboard cross, including a broken neck...
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Swift » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:17 am

Thumper wrote:Luge Relay, not quite as scary or dangerous as I first imagined. :P Awesome skeleton performance for the home team. Finally some alpine skiing. Plenty of carnage in snowboard cross, including a broken neck...

I do have to say I didn't even know snowboard cross existed, and I now really like it (sorry anyone got hurt).
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby geonuc » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:34 am

Success! It seems Hulu is an acceptable TV provider, so I now can watch Olympics with my Amazon Fire stick.

Denmark vs Norway mens match was tight.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:13 pm

Now you can join us, The Sleep Deprived! :P
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Parrothead » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:23 pm

Men's hockey QFs are finished: Czech. Rep. defeated USA 3-2 SO, OAR def Norway 6-1, Germany def. Sweden 4-3 OT and Canada def. Finland 1-0.

SF match-ups: Czech. Rep. vs OAR and Germany vs. Canada.

Women's hockey Gold medal game goes tonight, Canada vs. USA.

Going back a day or two: Virtue and Moir wowed again, winning Gold in Ice Dance. It was them and the French pair as the class of the field, a good 10 pts. ahead of the third place team. Men's two man bobsleigh, Canada tied Germany for Gold. Last time Canada won Olympic Gold in this event, 1998 and that year they happened to tie Italy for Gold. Women's Downhill was fun to watch last night.

Canada did not win a third straight Gold in two woman bobsleigh, this am, finishing third for a Bronze medal. Canada's women's curling team failed to qualify for the playoff round.

Canada currently sits third in the medal standings behind Norway and Germany. :cheer:

Go Canada!
Parrothead

Postby Thumper » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:48 pm

Parrothead wrote:Go Canada!
Not tonight...
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:35 pm

Fantastic hockey game yesterday. US Women win in a shootout. Jocelyn Lamoureux: Possibly the best move I have ever seen, the triple deke! Saw some disappointing video of the Canadian women taking off their silver medals as soon as they were awarded and placed on their necks. That's too bad. I know how they felt but I don't blame them, I would blame the coaches for allowing that kind of disrespect.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Parrothead » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:33 pm

Great game. Congrats US! This victory stopped the Canadian women from claiming a fifth straight Olympic Gold. The disappointment on the part of the players is an emotional thing, just coming off the game. At the World Jr tourney one of the Swedish players tossed his Silver medal into the crowd. In time there will be better memories.

I fell asleep just before the OT, woke up to see the SO.
Parrothead

Postby Thumper » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:52 pm

Yeah, it's unfortunate sometimes that they hold the medal ceremony immediately following the game. Emotions may still be running quite high (or low).
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:57 pm

Team Hungary has won its first Winter Olympics gold medal ever! :cheer: In speed skating.
Rommie

Postby Thumper » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:03 pm

Nice! The only thing more exciting than short track speed skating, is a short track speed skating relay. 8-)
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Swift » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:25 pm

Thumper wrote:Nice! The only thing more exciting than short track speed skating, is a short track speed skating relay. 8-)

I don't remember watching the speed skating relay before - that's crazy!
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby Rommie » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:14 am

Swift wrote:
Thumper wrote:Nice! The only thing more exciting than short track speed skating, is a short track speed skating relay. 8-)

I don't remember watching the speed skating relay before - that's crazy!

The gold was in the relay actually. Pretty awesome, and very busy to watch- check it out.
Rommie

Postby Thumper » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:41 pm

Choreographed chaos!
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Parrothead » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:45 pm

Germany vs. OAR in the Gold Medal hockey game. :o

Canada just lost 4-3. Outplayed and stupid penalties early did us in. Czech. Rep. vs. Canada for Bronze tomorrow am. Gold game goes tomorrow night.

Yay! Bronze for Kaetlyn Osmond in Women's figure skating. Canadian women finishing 1-2 in the ski cross, last night.

Canada has moved into second place in the medal standings.

Congrats Hungary!

Would be nice to see Estonia on the medals list. The 100th anniversary of Estonia's Declaration of Independence is tomorrow.
Parrothead

Postby geonuc » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:52 pm

I'm still fascinated by curling.

Watching the US/Canada mens semi and it comes down to the last rock to be thrown by the US skip. The Canadians have two in the house and the US has a one point lead. If the Canadian rocks stand, Canada wins and goes to the gold medal game. If the final US rock scores, the US wins and moves on. It's an easy throw (for Olympic curlers) but the US skip had earlier in the tournament completely blown a few throws. The US skip nails it.

A lot of the games are like that - last throw to win or lose. Intense.

Some people call curling a boring spectator sport. Ridiculous. But I also like watching golf, so there's that. :)
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

PreviousNext

Return to Hanging Around