Moving

Moving

Postby Rommie » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:33 pm

I don’t know why I bother. Ok I do, I got my first apartment sight unseen moving here, and there were several things I didn’t like with it (no natural light due to being in the towers, someone’s old furniture, they were starting to build a giant building next door so 7am construction wake ups, etc). Found a new place in condo tower land with a view, and moved in yesterday- literally had only so much stuff that two Uber SUVs did the trick.

I don’t think anyone likes moving- I think SFC told me once it’s actually proven to be far more stressful than anyone thinks, and I believe it. I also don’t recommend moving by yourself- first time I did bc it’s minimal on my end so not worth hassling others, I naively thought. Screw that, moving sucks!

Waking up the first morning in the new place on the other hand with sunshine in the apartment is great. :) Somehow feels like camping! Even though I’m probably going to be really upset by the end of the day at how much money I need to spend on stuff, as I’m sure “I only owned two car loads of stuff” implies.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Re: Moving

Postby Swift » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:06 pm

I hope you love your new place.

Yes, moving sucks. I wouldn't mind if I never again did it (and that might actually be the plan).
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby Thumper » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:18 am

Wake up at 7:00am?! I will have been here at my desk for an hour by that point. ;)
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby geonuc » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:24 pm

Thumper wrote:Wake up at 7:00am?! I will have been here at my desk for an hour by that point. ;)

I refer you to Rommie's signature line: Her life is quite different than yours. :mrgreen:
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:10 pm

Touche!
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:00 pm

Astronomers! :P

I think it will be good, just right now I'm busy sorting out all the annoying stuff relating to "this unit is totally ok!" vs "wait, why is there duct tape over a crack in the wooden floor? You know there's better ways to do this even if you don't want to take out the entire floor, right?!"
Rommie

Postby Thumper » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:05 pm

"Duct tape can't fix that."
-Uttered by no one, Ever.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:15 pm

Moving is always an interesting experience no matter how little or how much stuff you have. :P
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:21 pm

I moved alot when I was younger so it was just something I thought you do. Plus as a kid, I was somewhat insulated from the "moving stress" and more attuned to the "moving adventure."

Now, not so much. I've lived in my present house almost as long as all my previous 11 residences combined. Moving now would be an adventure of a different sort...
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby squ1d » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:12 pm

I've averaged a new place every 2 years over the last decade, and I think my hatred for moving grows each time.
squ1d

Postby Rommie » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:44 pm

I'm definitely more at the every two years rate as well. I like to imagine not this fall, but next fall, I will be able to find employment that actually lets me plan for multiple years in one dwelling. What a dream!
Rommie

Postby Thumper » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:13 pm

Careful what you wish for! :P
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby grapes » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:38 pm

Worse, now that we're ensconced long term in a [s]home[/s]house, we help our progeny move ...
grapes
Resident News Hound

Postby Swift » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:36 pm

Thumper wrote:I moved alot when I was younger so it was just something I thought you do. Plus as a kid, I was somewhat insulated from the "moving stress" and more attuned to the "moving adventure."

Now, not so much. I've lived in my present house almost as long as all my previous 11 residences combined. Moving now would be an adventure of a different sort...

Particularly during my years as a grad student and then as a post-doc (so a total of almost eight years) I probably averaged a move a year. And I hated it. I hated the lack of permanence and not being able to really call a place my own.

Since moving to Ohio, I lived about a two and half years in an apartment (as a bachelor), a year and a half renting the ground floor of a big house (as a couple), our first house for 22 years, and our current house for three and a half. Assuming we are able to continue to manage our own home, I hope never to move again.
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby SciFiFisher » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:51 am

I honestly cannot count how many times I have moved either temporarily (2 weeks - 3 years) or permanently. As a child my parents were for all practical purposes itinerant workers. As soon as I graduated from High School I shipped out to the Army. My career in the army was split between being active duty and reserve status multiple times that ranged from 2 weeks to 3 years at a time. At the same time I was raising kids, becoming a nurse, establishing my ad hoc career as a nurse, getting divorced, remarried, and now raising an 8 year old grandson. At a guess I have probably "moved" at least 30+ times out of the last 59.5 years. I have traveled from the West coast to the East coast for the purpose of relocating for various purposes at least 4-5 times. I have done the international/overseas thing only two times. :P

Brite looked at me when my last active duty tour ended in 2014 and asked "Are we actually going to stay somewhere for a change?" I promised her at least 5 years in our current location. In May we will have been in the same house for 4 years. We actually have been here in Sacramento for 6 years come this May.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby SciFi Chick » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:39 am

It's sad but my big dream is getting back to Australia and having a home permanently. The only moving I want to do is going on vacation. :lol:

Hope you're settling in Rommie. And yes, it's one of the top five stressors in life which is probably why we hate it more the older we get.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Return to Hanging Around