Foul fowl

Can't have a bar without a Grill... So here's where we discuss great (and no so great) food. The good, the bad and the "even the dog won't eat it" mistakes of our culinary attempts...

Foul fowl

Postby lady_*nix » Fri Sep 06, 2024 3:45 pm

Anyone else notice chicken being spoiled right out of the packaging really often lately? I'd say 70% of the time I've bought it this summer - both in person and by grocery order - it has failed the sniff test (often badly) despite being very fresh by the label. Same for ground turkey. I'm having to lean more vegetarian just from how reliably spoiled chicken is.

I've heard this may be from COVID induced supply chain problems, but I definitely didn't see this early in the pandemic, so... Not idea what is going on.
lady_*nix

Re: Foul fowl

Postby Rommie » Tue Sep 10, 2024 10:25 pm

No, I can't say we're having this problem. Which chain, and are you going to the same location?
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby lady_*nix » Wed Sep 11, 2024 7:20 pm

All local grocery chains I've tried (Roche Bros, Big Y, Star, Market Basket), and all brands of fresh poultry (Perdue, Hillshire Farms, Jenny-O, Bell&Evans, store brands...)

The only reliably good poultry products I've been able to find lately have been from locally sourced and slaughtered birds (e.g. Nubian Market which sources to a local farm), or pre-frozen stuff from outside the local supply chain (e.g. Bubba Burgers). Everything else has been rotten a large and increasing percentage of the time.

This is also with three different refrigerators (my old place in Roxbury, my mom's place, and the new apartment in Somerville). All of which do a fine job with other perishables, including fish. So I don't think it's the fridges.
lady_*nix

Postby Thumper » Fri Sep 20, 2024 3:46 pm

So I haven't eaten chicken in like 30 years. Mrs. T has read some books and swears that whoever reads them would never eat chicken again (the even "good" chicken is terrible for you and will kill you argument.) My boss eats a steady supply of chicken and salmon and has had no real issues. I think most of his chicken is locally sourced. Obviously, the salmon is not, in Ohio.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Return to .... And Grill